Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Fantastical Predicament

I'd like to ask your opinion. Yes, you.

Here's the question:

Do you believe that an author should stick to one genre?
If said author gains popularity with works of horror, should he/she only write in that genre for fear of losing the readers he/she has acquired?
Is this something an author should worry about?
If Stephen King suddenly decides to write romance, should he think twice?

I enjoy many different genres and always have numerous storylines swimming around my cranium. I write what I like. Some say I am a fantasy author. Fine. If those are the stories that grab you, please enjoy, but do not become angry if I step off into a different genre for a book or two. Or forever, for that matter.

There are those that show no interest in my non-fantasy works. Once again, fine and understood. It's those that act frustrated when I 'distract' myself with other stories, those are the ones that get on my nerves. Knock it off. I have varied interests. I love Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror. Some that fall somewhere in-between. Novels and comic books. I will continue to work on projects that I feel passionate about and hopefully someone out there will connect with it.

If not, I still have something that gives me great satisfaction, don't I?

So get ready for an Urban Fantasy/Cyberpunk/Parallel Realities/Thriller.

No, that's not a joke.

Walk with the Wind. 

William 

PS... I am outlining a second In the Shadow of the Black Sun trilogy.

PPS... Because I want to.

PPPS... Would love to hear your opinions on the author/genre question.


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on cross-genre platforms and multi-genre platforms. I write in many of the genres you mention, and I think they all interweave. SciFi clearly spawns Cyberpunk and Steampunk, and many Steampunk stories/worlds rely not just on slightly tweaked science, but also add in fantasy. There are stand away genres which can be mixed in with this lot easily, like Romance, or Thriller, which readers of "SFFH" but may put off by when standing alone. So I guess it depends on how the genre is handled and how different it is from what the reader expects from you.

    ReplyDelete